Now that the idiots in the Senate have decided it's ok for your ISP to sell every bit of your internet usage it's probably worth setting up OpenVPN on a server you control (I have it on several machines so I can switch around). Some decent tutorials:
- OpenVPN and Ipsec L2tp server
- Don't Get Pwned on Public WiFi: Use Your Own VPN
- OpenVPN road warrior installer for Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS
- Simple OpenVPN installer, designed for raspberry pi.
- SSH Tunnel (always an excellent backup, setup is super simple).